Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Technical Writing




Technical writing is a type of writing in which the author explains how to complete a particular writing skill. Most of these books are teachers oriented, although they can also be used by the students, since they can read them and get ideas or tips on how to create writing. I would like to use these types of books in my classroom so they can help me in teaching my students how to create a particular writing. I’ll be an elementary teacher focused more on STEM. I will ask my students to keep a science journal in which they will be taking notes of procedures, and steps they followed when conducting an experiment. Also, they will be writing about their findings (results) and interpreting specific data. Some of the characteristics that I will look for when selecting my books are, that the books are up to date, that the steps and information provided is easy to follow, and that the illustrations presented go along with the information presented in the text so it can make it easier for my students to understand and comprehend whatever my students are reading. I plan on using these books for instruction because they’re helpful on showing students how to create a particular type of writing. 


David Morrell, (2002). Lessons From a Lifetime of Writing: A Novelist Looks at His Craft. Cincinnati, Ohio : Writer's Digest Books
Complex level:

  • Fifth & Sixth
Read aloud level:
  • Fourth & Fifth

The author of this book is the best-selling novelist. This book is divided in fifteen lessons. These lessons focus on each part of writing, for example some of the lessons are; why do you want to be a writer? This lesson makes you reflect on why you want to make a writing. The other lessons focus on how to create a good plot, the importance of adding research to your writing, how to start with the first page since it’s what most people have difficulties with. It also provides information about the things you shouldn’t include when you create a dialogue. I would use this book in my classroom and get them main points from it, then share them with my students so they know how to create the different aspects of a good writing.



Ann Richards Taylor, (1969). Fiction Writing: A Guide for Students. Austin : Steck-Vaughn.
Complex level:

  • Fifth & Sixth
Read aloud level:
  • Fourth & Fifth


This book is similar to the one above. It provides information about how to create a good writing. It’s a good guide for students since it explains in details how to put together a good story. It talks about how to transition from one point to another without breaking the story’s fluency. It provides good information on how to give focus to the characters. This would be a good book for students to read since it will help them create a good story. I plan on using this book in my classroom by having my students identify the main ideas, and having a discussion about them and how we can implement them as we create a story.

No comments:

Post a Comment